Pages

Thursday 21 July 2016

5 Tips for Starting an Active Lifestyle.



First of all, let me point out the obvious: I am not a professional nor do I believe that I am. All I am is a girl who is active and loves to share her tips on how she remains the active chick she is! So, now that that is all out of the way, let's get to it, shall we?

Tip one: You make the choice! Now, this one is the most important tip and really the only tip you need - don't worry, I will share more! If you are working out because someone is making you, you will not succeed. If you are working out because you want someone to notice you, you will not succeed. You need to make the choice. Make the choice for you. Make the choice to be more active, to eat healthier, and to go that extra mile (metaphorically and literally)! You need to make the choice to get out of bed and go for that run, or pick up those weights, or go to that yoga class. Trust me, if you are becoming active because someone suggested you should, you will not succeed at an active lifestyle. Your motivation comes from your choice to continue.

Tip two: Set a goal. Maybe you want to run a 5k, a 10, a half marathon. Maybe you want to be able to hold a handstand or hold half moon position (both goals of mine!). Maybe you want your goal to be that you workout for 30 minutes 5 days a week. Or maybe you want to lose 10lbs - I don't believe numbers matter but for some they do, and that is totally okay, just don't make it everything! Whatever your goal may be, make it realistic, write it down and stick to it! 

Tip three: Write it down! As I just mentioned in tip two, writing down your goals will really help you out. If you can see what you are aiming for, you are more likely to go out and reach for it. Along with writing down your goals, keeping a journal of your workouts, how you are feeling and your progress can really benefit in keeping yourself from falling off the bandwagon and staying active. I keep a journal that I write in every few days -when I am feeling like it-  of my progress, my workouts, what I am rocking and what I can improve on, and how I am feeling - ex. sluggish or energized. 

Tip four: Find a workout buddy! This tip is for those who don't like to workout alone or need someone around who will keep them in check. I am the workout buddy for my husband, who is extremely fit but also a tad lazy, which is understandable after a long day at work. But, your health should not be put aside just because you are tired! So, if you are lacking that motivator, that person who will kick things into high gear, or just be there at the finish line with an ice cold bottle of water in hand, then put out an ad and start asking around! Another option would to sign up with a personal trainer - they can make a workout specific to you and make sure that you are doing everything correctly! So many options!

Tip five: Make it fun! Working out and being active should not feel like a chore - it may feel like it some days but it shouldn't every day! If you find that your workout or your lifestyle is missing something or becoming a bit to drab, pizzazz the shiz out of it! Being active is the funnest part about being alive! You can run, jump, skip anywhere at anytime. You can make TV workouts - do pushups, jumping jacks, squats, or run on the spot during commercials. You can run up and down your stairs 10 times. You can take the stairs instead of the elevator. You can workout at your desk (check out Yoga with Adriene for videos on that!) or even on a flight (*cough* Yoga with Adriene  *cough*). You can literally workout/ be active wherever you are whenever you are. It is all up to you to make a conscious choice (tip one) and effort to maintain this lifestyle. 


Believe me, I have days where I just feel like being melted butter on the couch watching Netflix all day. You will have those days, and that is completely normal. Do not fight it. Allow yourself to relax when you need to. Your body needs to stay active but it also requires rest, so make sure to pencil some in necessary Netflix binge-watching time. 

These are just some of my tips, so if you would like more or more posts on being active, let me know! I would love to hear your feedback, your ideas, and your tips! 

Take care,
C.

2 comments:

  1. Great Post you have here and you nailed it! I just started a blog too and these are great tips to follow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to join all sort of challenges, for example monthly yoga challenges on Instagram, and this makes me more accountable and more likely to keep going cause I don't like to quit! :)
    xx Andreea Sandu

    ReplyDelete