Pages

Monday 14 March 2016

Downtown Love Story.

Any sign of warm weather brings the Winter hermits to the streets. All of the snow is gone and the sun is finally doing it's job of keeping us warm. Mark and I do not spend as much time in the "city" (more like a very large town) but yesterday we decided to take a walk downtown. Like most places that we have been, the downtown areas have all seen better days. I am from the small town of Kentville, Nova Scotia, and our downtown looks similar to Brandon's (but much smaller and more run-down). And with that similarity brings a feeling of connectedness. I feel like I am home. Like I belong. And when I leave, I feel a sadness. 

When we moved to the area in 2014, I was excited! But that excitement quickly died and I become depressed and angry. Angry that there is no ocean to drive to, that the people I pass are strangers, and that we have no family near by. It was rough. But every trip into Brandon, I made it a point to drive through the downtown streets. To basque in the memory of home in my new home. 

Now, I enjoy the anonymity of walking by people whom I do not know. I can be whomever it is I wish to be and not someone who people think they know just because they know my name. It is an empowering feeling and the city Brandon has granted me this opportunity. This is why I love Brandon. 

There will be a day where we must pack our belongings and close this chapter, but I will always be grateful to this place for allowing me to just be.






6 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures Charlotte; and I can totally relate. When I moved away for University, I felt that same excitment and then anger than I couldnt just drive to the ocean in 5 minutes. I'm back by the sea now and happier than ever. I guess home will always be home but it's exciting and empowering to be someone and somewhere new. xx

    Abby | Eärendil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! Living near the ocean is certainly a privilege that we can take for granted sometimes. But, it is something that will always a drive or flight away.

      Delete
  2. I love this post so much...

    "I can be whomever it is I wish to be and not someone who people think they know just because they know my name."

    That is so right on. I'm glad you've come around and I love the way you spoke of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Johnna! It is nice to have a fresh start sometimes :)

      Delete
  3. Good for you for seeing the positive elements in a hard move. I agree that there is something wonderful, something liberating about anonymity, being anyone you wish! :)

    ReplyDelete